Monday, March 09, 2009

reining him in


Just last week I listened, with great interest, to a radio program about equine therapy: the use of riding activities to treat physical, mental, and emotional disabilities. So I was pretty sure it was divine leading when I learned, this week, that such a program was being run not too far from home--and that they were in need of volunteers. All it took was a quick online search, a phone call, and some application processes for me to find myself there today, soaking in the stable smells that I actually am quite fond of. This photo documents the process of suiting "BooBoo" into his reins, during which I teased him for having a name that so belies his stately grandeur :-)

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Oh this is cool! I'd like to train my dog to be a therapy dog for Hospice of Kona. I really believe in the healing power of animals and want to find a way to be part of this process.

Linda said...

You've been up to all sorts of things since I saw you. What a nice way to spend your time.

anna j said...

Jenny: you know, I thought of you when I posted this, thinking of your lovely horse photo. You should absolutely pursue that training for your dog: I bet that such programs are in need of "willing" pets!
Linda: thank you--I appreciate that affirmation as I sometimes wonder what I'm doing worthwhile whenever in transition . . .