Tuesday, September 11, 2007

qualified nuttiness

Just another day in the land of nutty old folks and nutty not-so-old ones. To illustrate, let me give you one snippet from the day:

Two gentlemen came this afternoon to tell me about the coming opening of a new Counseling Center for geriatric patients--it's the only area center of licensed counselors and therapists that will accept Medicaid and offer the type of services they provide, so they're trying to make folks like me aware of it, so we can refer our residents to them. At one point, one of them asked me how many people I could think of right off the bat who would qualify for psychiatric services, if assessed by a professional. A quick train of thought went something like this: Hmmm . . . we have about 158 residents at the moment. There are about 6 of us here who work directly with the residents . . . Then I responded out loud, “Well, I can think of about 164 off the top of my head who would most likely qualify for psychiatric services at the moment.”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm still laughing! You're funny.

Anonymous said...

Perfect! Did it work?

anna j said...

shucks, it's awfully nice to have such an appreciative audience . . .
we'll see if it "works," as i'm still waiting for the arrival of a slew of psychiatric assessors, armed and ready for all 164 of us :-)

Anonymous said...

You know, in all seriousness, I think providing counseling to individuals that work in nursing homes, long term care, foster homes, hospitals, etc. is brilliant. I certainly think it could help lower the turnover rate and reduce instances of elder and child abuse. Anna, you're so smart!